Thread: SLU being investigated for possible NCAA violations

SLU being investigated for possible NCAA violations

Last night, it was revealed that SLU's men's hockey team was being investigated for possible NCAA violations.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...n-12408284.php
    http://www.uscho.com/2017/12/05/st-l...ol-violations/

Thoughts?
    Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

NC Papers

No matter if it is true or not. My question is why the Times Union was able to publish this story last night, yet the Local North Country paper and online versions that are owned by the Johnson family just posted the story at 1045AM 12/6/2017. Where are the dedicated hockey reports on this?

For those involved with the SLU hockey program, my thoughts are with you during these troubling times.

Quote Originally Posted by ndlax View Post
    No matter if it is true or not. My question is why the Times Union was able to publish this story last night, yet the Local North Country paper and online versions that are owned by the Johnson family just posted the story at 1045AM 12/6/2017. Where are the dedicated hockey reports on this?
    Personally, I don't believe there's anything nefarious in the timing (there could be any number of reasons why the North Country media said nothing until today), but the lack of reporting outside the hockey community is nonetheless troubling.
    Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

The investigation is apparently centered around Mark Morris- namely, that he allegedly ran practices and video sessions longer than NCAA rules allow.

He is also being accused of mistreating players...sound familiar?

I actually kinda feel bad for them right about now...this only took an already-bad season and made it even worse...
    WCKN Executive Hockey Producer emeritus (served 2009-10)

Quote Originally Posted by cu2010 View Post
    The investigation is apparently centered around Mark Morris- namely, that he allegedly ran practices and video sessions longer than NCAA rules allow.

He is also being accused of mistreating players...sound familiar?

I actually kinda feel bad for them right about now...this only took an already-bad season and made it even worse...
    Well, it looks like there is a lynch mob mentality going on with the social media and email reports. That being said, the University does not have the money to pay his contract out and hire another coach. What better way to get him out than on NCAA violations. Not saying they are doing that, but if I wanted to get him out...that's the way I would do it....find a way to void his contract. I feel the college game and recruiting have gotten away from Mark.....I hope all is done fairly.
    2013 Pick to Click Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Well, it looks like there is a lynch mob mentality going on with the social media and email reports. That being said, the University does not have the money to pay his contract out and hire another coach. What better way to get him out than on NCAA violations. Not saying they are doing that, but if I wanted to get him out...that's the way I would do it....find a way to void his contract. I feel the college game and recruiting have gotten away from Mark.....I hope all is done fairly.
    There were a number of die hard SLU fans that went (to quote Bob Ahfeld) apoplectic when Mark was hired. Apparently there was a lot of bad blood from the time Mark was an assistant coach at SLU before he was hired by CCT. I'm with you, Mark coaches with an old school mentality which in this day and age of feel good pampered athlete does not go over well with people. Not saying his methods are acceptable but sounds to me like Mark is in a heap of trouble. Sad situation. Based on what happened with with Mark and CCT, he probably ain't gonna go down without a fight.

Gonna be very interesting how this plays out and how long it gonna take for this to play out. Is the school gonna suspend him while this investigation is going on? So far it seems they are not. If the allegations are found to be true before the end of the season, not sure how they can keep him even thru this season.

Will he still be behind the bench for this big weekend against CCT?
    Vicb

Fan of the 2014 & 2017 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions
    If Union can do it, why can't CCT

Dean Martin once sang, "It's a Marshmallow World". I think Dean was referring to the world being so sweet and awesome back in the 1960's when he sang that tune.

Today, that song would have a very different meaning. I'll let the NCAA do their thing, but I'd wager all we're seeing here is a coach using a few "tough" words on some players who may not be going all out, and who were raised to be soft, feel-good, inclusive (everything's ok), I can never do no wrong - Marshmallows.

Toughen up - buttercup.

Also, it is always easier to look for scape-goats when your team has one win and more than 10x losses...vs. looking at your inner self to understand what isn't correct. All sport is 50% attitude...and each player needs to correct that. If you have never played on a team that couldn't win for 15 games, you will not understand the funk losing can put you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Remember Walker View Post
    Dean Martin once sang, "It's a Marshmallow World". I think Dean was referring to the world being so sweet and awesome back in the 1960's when he sang that tune.

Today, that song would have a very different meaning. I'll let the NCAA do their thing, but I'd wager all we're seeing here is a coach using a few "tough" words on some players who may not be going all out, and who were raised to be soft, feel-good, inclusive (everything's ok), I can never do no wrong - Marshmallows.

Toughen up - buttercup.

Also, it is always easier to look for scape-goats when your team has one win and more than 10x losses...vs. looking at your inner self to understand what isn't correct. All sport is 50% attitude...and each player needs to correct that. If you have never played on a team that couldn't win for 15 games, you will not understand the funk losing can put you in.
    Does forcing players to play with concussions, which is one the accusations I've seen against him, count as "tough" words? Getting concussed when you already have a concussion can be at worst fatal and is also very likely open you up to post-concussion syndrome and CTE. Does someone worrying about having anything regarding a quality of life after hockey make them soft? If it is found to be true that he is forcing players to play with concussions, I hope he gets slapped with show-cause penalty because he should not be allowed to coach anywhere.

Additionally, practice limits, one of the accused violations I've seen listed most frequently, exist so players have time for study. Most of these guys won't play serious hockey again after college, so their degrees are the most important thing they'll get. There's more to Clarkson and SLU than hockey teams, and I hope people don't lose sight of that.

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    There were a number of die hard SLU fans that went (to quote Bob Ahfeld) apoplectic when Mark was hired. Apparently there was a lot of bad blood from the time Mark was an assistant coach at SLU before he was hired by CCT. I'm with you, Mark coaches with an old school mentality which in this day and age of feel good pampered athlete does not go over well with people. Not saying his methods are acceptable but sounds to me like Mark is in a heap of trouble. Sad situation. Based on what happened with with Mark and CCT, he probably ain't gonna go down without a fight.

Gonna be very interesting how this plays out and how long it gonna take for this to play out. Is the school gonna suspend him while this investigation is going on? So far it seems they are not. If the allegations are found to be true before the end of the season, not sure how they can keep him even thru this season.

Will he still be behind the bench for this big weekend against CCT?
    I was one of them, but not because of his methods but because CCT always seemed to beat SLU (10X in a row at one point) with Mark at CCT, AND I'm a very sore loser. I'll get 2 more of those this weekend.

I know he can't comment, but I'd love to get Kyle Hayton's thoughts. His leaving 'kinda set the ball in motion. Very tough times in 'Larryland Hockey, which makes CCT's accomplishments this season even more impressive, given that your travel partner isn't making things tough and holding up its end of the bargain.