Thread: TappaTalk

TappaTalk

Any chance we could get TappaTalk enabled for the roundtable? I have some forums i frequent that have added the tappatalk feature. It is GREAT on an iphone (and probably droid as well). I would think this would increase users on this forum, and the activity on this forum, and allow us all to be better connected on the road.

Its a GREAT app...just something to consider. I dont think there is a charge for the web host to install it, but the app itself is $2.99. WELL worth it (and i dont buy many apps).

I've heard of Tapatalk, but haven't really looked into it before now. However, it looks very attractive! You are correct in that enabling the Roundtable for Tapatalk is free. The only thing I don't like is having to ask people to pay for the client; I'd like to offer it free.

I had also considered vBulletin's own native iPhone client, but decided against it due to cost: I'd have to pay $99 to vBulletin for rights to use the app itself and another $99 to Apple to be able to publish the app to the App Store, along with all the bureaucratic red tape that that entails. From what I've read, their app leaves a LOT to be desired.

Plus, vBulletin refuses to make the source code available. They insist on compiling the app for me (despite the fact that I have a Mac and all the necessary tools), and expect me to apply my own cryptographic "signature" to the app & submit that to the App Store. If I'm putting my signature on an app, which is REQUIRED for submission to the App Store, I want to build it myself with source code I can see.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll take a closer peek at it.
    Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by scottcomstock View Post
    I've heard of Tapatalk, but haven't really looked into it before now. However, it looks very attractive! You are correct in that enabling the Roundtable for Tapatalk is free. The only thing I don't like is having to ask people to pay for the client; I'd like to offer it free.

I had also considered vBulletin's own native iPhone client, but decided against it due to cost: I'd have to pay $99 to vBulletin for rights to use the app itself and another $99 to Apple to be able to publish the app to the App Store, along with all the bureaucratic red tape that that entails. From what I've read, their app leaves a LOT to be desired.

Plus, vBulletin refuses to make the source code available. They insist on compiling the app for me (despite the fact that I have a Mac and all the necessary tools), and expect me to apply my own cryptographic "signature" to the app & submit that to the App Store. If I'm putting my signature on an app, which is REQUIRED for submission to the App Store, I want to build it myself with source code I can see.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll take a closer peek at it.
    No problem. Just want to add that there is no "forcing" people to pay for the client, they can decide to do that if they want to. The forums still function as they currently do with or without the client installed. Though I will say that anyone who uses online forums will find tapatalk to be far superior than just using the web browser on an iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by CUKnight View Post
    Its a GREAT app...just something to consider. I dont think there is a charge for the web host to install it, but the app itself is $2.99. WELL worth it (and i dont buy many apps).
    Agreed. No problems here with paying for the app. Users can always just browse to the site like they would anyways..

You wanted it, you got it. Watch for my announcement!
    Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com