Announcement

Collapse

Forum software updated

Given that it's Super Bowl Sunday (yeah yeah, NFL, sue me :P ), I figured it'd be a good time to update the vBulletin software to the next major version, which I haven't done in nearly nine years (!) I was using a third-party plugin to handle spam protection before, but the latest version of vBulletin has its own equivalent protection that I hope will end the random moderation problems that folks have been pinging me about.

Give me a yell via email or PM if something's broken or out of place. I know the software upgrade broke the chat room (and the link) but I'm hoping to fix both fairly soon, but no later than the next Clarkson game.

-Scott
See more
See less

2017-2018 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-2018 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Figured I would start this up with the crucial loss of Vigneault, Boucher/de Haas/Josephs/Vigneault are quite a group of impactful players to lose and it now leaves us with our top 4 forward point producers being freshmen turning sophomores in Rempal (23 points), Brosseau (21 points), Sturm (21 points), Egle (17 points). Pierog and Gervais were the next closest with 11 each and while they are 2 of my favorite guys on the ice when they step out there, they don't consistently produce points and I can't see a Josephs like SR year for either of them.

Huge freshman forward class and even though we don't know the names I think it will be an expectation of the staff for the results to produce points consistently, I don't think you'll see 4 in a pivotal role like this season but at least 2 potentially 3 and if I could take a guess they'd be Campoli and Charyszyn with Dickinson and Klack fighting for spots, Cooper could slide in with Quince as a bottom line guy if Quince builds off the end of the season. Defensively the competition will be on from the summer, probably a few safe spots but I like having the luxury of no job being safe.

Just a few questions I have heading into next season and if you want to answer them too, go ahead....

1) Who is your breakout guy for next season?

For me it has to be Jokiharju, he obviously showed his willingness to shoot the puck from wherever this year and I think having 2 years of college hockey under his belt will help him go into the offseason with the mindset of next year is big for me. I think going into next season with the confidence of knowing he actually has the potential to crack the lineup from day one will help.

2) Who will be the leader on defense/early season top 6 predictions if you want to give it a go?

I only put this on here because I feel if you would've asked me at the beginning of last season I would have said Amorosa, now I'm leaning towards Summers. There will be no defenseman like de Haas but they depth and extra year of experience for the newcomers will help big time, Summers had a nice offensive year and was IMO our 2nd best defenseman in his own end, he has controlled his pinches, moved the puck semi-consistently and has matured from the true freshman he came in as. I'll go with Astren/Summers, Amorosa/Ginnetti, Thow/Moro, I think Astren has a lot of potential to become a number 1 in his upperclassmen years.

3) Who are your player(s) you want to see take the next step?

I'll go with Kielly because I think the mold of our defense will be similar to the Tansey/Geiger years and he needs to be better with rebounds and better at holding the fort down reinforcing the belief that we will win this game, taking more of a leader role hopefully. He's very athletic and seems to track things quite well but unfortunately struggles to place his rebounds certain games and with teams like Cornell who just like to get pucks on with traffic he didn't seem as comfortable. I think he's a good college goalie but can he be great? Paul Karpowich had some pretty bad teams but I'd consider him a good college goalie with the numbers he put up, those numbers don't tell the full story with Karpo but in order to be great you need to win and maintain the numbers like David Leggio did.

4) In your opinion, do you think we will see progress (First Round Bye/Lake Placid?) or do you think we will see much of the same with our inconsistency?

Honestly with losing as much as we will be it's going to have to depend on if Rempal and Brosseau develop into consistent talents, I think we will have a good amount of depth but at the same time we will have a lot of youth and to be quite honest I'm sick of using that excuse and things need to come together. I feel defensively the staff will have a lot of options and if they see something they don't like the next night you could be sitting. When it comes to conference play I think we will finally crack the top 4 and get the first round bye but non-conference play will be ugly IMO with the teams that should be lined up. I don't think the 3 game series has been favorable and adjustments need to be made in order to finish things off so until we get past the 2nd round, I'll believe it when I see it.

If I could take a shot at guessing the recruiting class it would be....

Forwards - Campoli, Charyszyn, Cooper, Dickinson, Klack, MacLean

Defense - Ginnetti, McCarthy

Goalie - 2 empty spots, should be filling them out soon

Comment

In contrast to your very good assessment, I believe Gervais can have a Josephs-like breakout season. I think you'll see him on a line with Campoli to have a strong and experienced forward to stabilize the line. I feel like putting him on a line with more talent will allow him to grow his game and get more chances.

On another note, maybe not a "breakout" but a possible much improved player could be Quince. After all of the rumors and concerns, he cracked the lineup late in the season and showed a lot of the promise for which he was recruited. It looks like he's making the effort in practice to bring to the game. I could see him go from a part-timer to top 6 if the effort continues.

2) Who will be the leader on defense/early season top 6 predictions if you want to give it a go?

I don't know enough about the recruits to make an accurate assessment of the top 6. However, if Amarosa doesn't step up, the defense will be in trouble. Summers has yet to reach his offensive potential and at the same time his defensive inconsistencies are still there. Moro and Thow both got better from October to March and can make a decent third pair.

Rempal, without a doubt. He's a skilled forward but he needs to grow into at D-1 college player. If he can take the next step physically, he can be an all league player.

4) In your opinion, do you think we will see progress (First Round Bye/Lake Placid?) or do you think we will see much of the same with our inconsistency?

I think we're a preseason top 4 despite the losses. Looking around at the ECAC teams and who they are losing combined with who they are bringing in, I think anything less than a top 4 will be a failure.

Comment

"forgotten" defenseman

Nobody has mentioned Astren Did he not practice all season and he should be a front runner to crack the lineup if he is as good as advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
          Nobody has mentioned Astren Did he not practice all season and he should be a front runner to crack the lineup if he is as good as advertised.
          I have him playing with Summers on the 1st pairing, I think he has the most upside of the group we have.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

In contrast to your very good assessment, I believe Gervais can have a Josephs-like breakout season. I think you'll see him on a line with Campoli to have a strong and experienced forward to stabilize the line. I feel like putting him on a line with more talent will allow him to grow his game and get more chances.

On another note, maybe not a "breakout" but a possible much improved player could be Quince. After all of the rumors and concerns, he cracked the lineup late in the season and showed a lot of the promise for which he was recruited. It looks like he's making the effort in practice to bring to the game. I could see him go from a part-timer to top 6 if the effort continues.

I don't know enough about the recruits to make an accurate assessment of the top 6. However, if Amarosa doesn't step up, the defense will be in trouble. Summers has yet to reach his offensive potential and at the same time his defensive inconsistencies are still there. Moro and Thow both got better from October to March and can make a decent third pair.

Rempal, without a doubt. He's a skilled forward but he needs to grow into at D-1 college player. If he can take the next step physically, he can be an all league player.

I think we're a preseason top 4 despite the losses. Looking around at the ECAC teams and who they are losing combined with who they are bringing in, I think anything less than a top 4 will be a failure.
            I really hope you're right on Gervais, that's what I expected when he came in, a guy who would dominate his upperclassmen years in all areas of the game. He's a great player but I just don't see him scoring goals, I agree that it will be dependent on his linemates, if he can blend well with a guy with a bit more skill like we saw with Boucher in the Cornell series then I do believe he can breakout.

Thow and Moro as a shutdown pair is great, Thow had his games where he looked really good, I think we will be fine if Amorosa can't pick up the slack because our freshmen can both play and I love Astrens upside and think he's an immediate impact player.

Comment

1) Who is your breakout guy for next season? Sheldon Rempal. If he dedicates himself to getting stronger in the off-season, he will be a top 5 point scorer in the league next year. He struggles in the corners with the puck because of his smaller stature and if he can get better in that area, look out.

2) Who will be the leader on defense/early season top 6 predictions if you want to give it a go? For me, defense is our question mark for next season, but in a good way. The competition for playing time is going to be intense in practice for sure and I cannot make a decision on who the top 6 will be without seeing the incoming class. I'm really hoping we can find a solid back-up who pushes Kielly for playing time.

3) Who are your player(s) you want to see take the next step? This years Freshman line (11,14,17). They have the skill and ability to carry this team over the next 3 years. It will be interesting to see if Casey keeps them together or uses one of the incoming forwards to try and find a better trio. My choice would be to keep them together, or at least keep Brosseau and Rempal together. I'm very high on this years Freshman class if you couldn't tell.

4) In your opinion, do you think we will see progress (First Round Bye/Lake Placid?) or do you think we will see much of the same with our inconsistency? If we aren't a first round bye team next year it will be because of either injuries or inconsistency. If it's injuries that's one thing, if it's inconsistency, then I feel we should explore our options...

Comment

Just looking around the league there will be a lot of crucial departures for teams, just looking at the top 5 teams this year plus Princeton, the team that scares me the most in the bottom half.....

Harvard - Esposito, Kerfoot, Moy, Malone, Anderson.....Harvard will bring in a solid class but from what I see all of the top recruits for Donato will be coming in 2018 or later.

Union - Vecchione, Taylor, Sak who had a great SR year for them in net, Foo will have offers but I bet he will want to spend a year with his brother.

Cornell - Buckles, Freschi Kubaik, Weidner, McCarron, Gillam, that's a lot of leadership although the younger Cornell players do have more skill but the grit is what wins them games.

SLU - Dahl, Hudson, Smolcynski, Bayreuther, Graham, Massella, Sweetman, a lot of leadership plus Hayton and Gluchowski will have NHL interest.

Quinnipiac - Connor Clifton, Tim Clifton, Schutt, Smith, Tiefenwerth, they bring back a lot of important juniors so we will see but I thought Q was average this year and are losing a lot of leadership.

Princeton - Phinney so they will have questions in goal but their backup did well in his showings so maybe he is the guy, they didn't have one SR in the double digit point totals and they will will return Cressey, Hallisey, Kuffner, Riche, Robinson, Veronneau, along with Teves and Topatigh on D, if they find a G they should be in the top 6 next season.

Comment

When will the 2017-18 schedule come out? Is @ ASU definite?

Comment

Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
                    Just looking around the league there will be a lot of crucial departures for teams, just looking at the top 5 teams this year plus Princeton, the team that scares me the most in the bottom half.....

Harvard - Esposito, Kerfoot, Moy, Malone, Anderson.....Harvard will bring in a solid class but from what I see all of the top recruits for Donato will be coming in 2018 or later.

Union - Vecchione, Taylor, Sak who had a great SR year for them in net, Foo will have offers but I bet he will want to spend a year with his brother.

Cornell - Buckles, Freschi Kubaik, Weidner, McCarron, Gillam, that's a lot of leadership although the younger Cornell players do have more skill but the grit is what wins them games.

SLU - Dahl, Hudson, Smolcynski, Bayreuther, Graham, Massella, Sweetman, a lot of leadership plus Hayton and Gluchowski will have NHL interest.

Quinnipiac - Connor Clifton, Tim Clifton, Schutt, Smith, Tiefenwerth, they bring back a lot of important juniors so we will see but I thought Q was average this year and are losing a lot of leadership.

Princeton - Phinney so they will have questions in goal but their backup did well in his showings so maybe he is the guy, they didn't have one SR in the double digit point totals and they will will return Cressey, Hallisey, Kuffner, Riche, Robinson, Veronneau, along with Teves and Topatigh on D, if they find a G they should be in the top 6 next season.
                    I had said this a couple of weeks ago. The league will basically be turned upside down next year. Don't be fooled, Harvard is a deep team, and although they're losing a lot, they should still be in the top 4. Otherwise, the rest of the top 5 are all losing significant talent, as is Clarkson. I think Cornell, Harvard, and Clarkson should be your top 3 going in based on what's left, throw SLU in to make a top 4 because they still have that goaltender.

Comment

With the women winning their 2nd NCAA championship and the men outside the NCAA tourney for the 9th straight year, I know it seems like the chasm between the men's and women's programs got a whole bunch wider, but will the women's success actually help recruiting on the men's side? Just wondering ...

Comment

Originally posted by keener83 View Post
                        When will the 2017-18 schedule come out? Is @ ASU definite?
                        @ Minnesota x2 is confirmed, the Belfast Tournament with RPI and then the winner/loser of Providence Maine has been confirmed, Lowell + Providence coming to Cheel/Appleton is confirmed and I'm pretty sure it was a back to back so it would be this upcoming season as we went down there last season.

I can't remember seeing anything else about any other confirmed games, we do still owe Western Michigan a return trip as well so one would assume that has to be coming up this season or pretty soon if not next year. There would still be 2 weekend slots available one home series and one away so that remains undetermined, wouldn't mind an Atlantic Hockey series to be honest, our schedule will be tough enough if it plays out like it could. Don't think ASU is in the cards this year but maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by dave techer View Post
                          With the women winning their 2nd NCAA championship and the men outside the NCAA tourney for the 9th straight year, I know it seems like the chasm between the men's and women's programs got a whole bunch wider, but will the women's success actually help recruiting on the men's side? Just wondering ...
                          The only way it could help recruiting is if Clarkson gets donations willing to help out the renovation project. The National Championship can only help people out on the road trying to find donations, I don't know if 40 million is realistic but the women have definitely pulled their weight and then some so hopefully the donations will follow. I recently looked at the WDT article of the renovation plan and while I don't know if the restaurant renovations are necessary the weight room and locker room space could definitely be beneficial in terms of getting youth teams in for tournaments/recruiting, heck sometimes they both tie in as the recruit will visit at 10 years old and will have a potential soft spot for Clarkson.

Comment

Interesting article about college hockey in the NYT...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...eams.html?_r=0

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                              Interesting article about college hockey in the NYT...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...eams.html?_r=0
                              Nice article, with the low amount of power 5 schools in college hockey I think it's going to come down to those schools but in general westward expansion is crucial, in terms of the SEC/B12 I truthfully never have seen a D1 hockey program being in the cards. If Arizona St can form some sort of P12 conference and B1G expands then we could could see the start of something because those will be the schools that can reach out to the large alum base and potentially raise enough interest to start up a program.

Comment

Working...
                              X