Announcement

Collapse

Forum software updated

Given that it's Super Bowl Sunday (yeah yeah, NFL, sue me :P ), I figured it'd be a good time to update the vBulletin software to the next major version, which I haven't done in nearly nine years (!) I was using a third-party plugin to handle spam protection before, but the latest version of vBulletin has its own equivalent protection that I hope will end the random moderation problems that folks have been pinging me about.

Give me a yell via email or PM if something's broken or out of place. I know the software upgrade broke the chat room (and the link) but I'm hoping to fix both fairly soon, but no later than the next Clarkson game.

-Scott
See more
See less

So this is where we are........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is where we are........

......hopefully I can access this from work, the other roundtable was blocked by my employer. So Scott, wha' happa'?
    2013 Pick to Click Champion

You want answers?
    If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

Comment

Of course we're all curious, but it seems as though answers won't be forthcoming. Huh?
      Let's Go Tech!

Comment

The cause of the entire outage, believe it or not, goes back over 8 years.

Back in the spring of 2000, during my senior year, I worked in what was then the University Communications office. As many of you recall, at that time, Clarkson itself hosted the original Roundtable: Rick O'Donnell's version. By that time, as many of you remember, it was not being monitored and had degenerated into a total madhouse that was causing some headaches in the office. It was decided shortly before I graduated to take the Roundtable down and later bring it back basically as it stands today: with real forum software, no anonymous posts allowed, etc.

The legwork for this, including Clarkson's purchase of the goldenknightshockey.com domain name and research into various forum software packages, was done in early 2001. However, before anything further could be done, it was decided that for a variety of reasons (legal and otherwise), Clarkson did not want to give that kind of 'official' support to what was essentially going to be a fan-operated site. By that time, Pete McLean had already reestablished a Roundtable on Yahoo.

Because I didn't like users being forced to give up marketing information to Yahoo, I spoke to both Pete & Clarkson, and offered to host the Roundtable completely on my own, and all I really wanted was use of the domain name: goldenknightshockey.com. Both parties agreed; I bought a copy of Ultraboard (later upgraded to vBulletin), set up the hosting, and that's where the matter has rested for over eight years. Clarkson has not exerted any control, editorial or otherwise, over what's posted here; the Roundtable is basically run as I see fit, and everyone's basically been happy.

The upshot of this, of course, was that I had (and still have) no control over the domain name, goldenknightshockey.com. As the Roundtable moved hosts over the years, I had to have Clarkson modify the domain records to reflect the new hosts. Apparently, they inadvertently made a change a few days ago that completely killed the Roundtable, which was fixed late Sunday.

I was rather nervous when I discovered what had happened, and was very relieved when I discovered it had been an unfortunate mistake. However, I also took the downtime to carefully consider things.

In any serious disputes over content posted on the Internet, one of the first places the lawyers look is who owns the domain. It's usually that person or company that gets the lawyer-type crap: copyright (DMCA) complaints, cease-and-desists, and the like. In the case of goldenknightshockey.com, that would be Clarkson getting the letters, not me. As I said, aside from owning the domain name, Clarkson doesn't exercise any control over the site, editorial or otherwise.

The responsibility for what happens here is ultimately mine, since the site hosting is in my name and I pay for the hosting. Although the Roundtable has never been the subject of a DMCA complaint, cease-and-desist, or anything else of that nature, it is not fair of me to potentially expose Clarkson to that kind of legal b.s. when they have nothing to do with it. Back in 2001, when the arrangement was made, the legal issues were still being shaken out in the courts and I was then not completely cognizant of the potential legal problems.

I don't even want to get into what could possibly happen should someone post something that the NCAA doesn't like. Sure, the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says it isn't associated with the university or the team, but anyone doing a WHOIS on goldenknightshockey.com is going to see that Clarkson owns the domain, and that could be trouble.

I've owned letsgotech.com for quite some time, and have had the domain parked on the same host as the Roundtable, so I was able to quickly get the Roundtable "moved" and back up. It was literally just a matter of copying files from one directory to another.

So, for the time being, even though goldenknightshockey.com has been restored, I've kept the redirects to letsgotech.com in place until I can get a better handle on potential legal and NCAA issues. Should those issues be resolvable to my (and Clarkson's) satisfaction, all I have to do is copy the files back to their original location.

I want to stress that I undertook this action on my own, without pressure from anyone. I had been intending to contact Clarkson with my concerns shortly before Reunion (so that I could talk to someone up there in person), but the outage sort of moved things up a bit.

As for the move, I just wanted to get the Roundtable back up so that people wouldn't think that I had shut it down. I discovered exactly WHAT had happened early on Sunday, but didn't find out WHY until later that afternoon.

Hopefully this clears the air a bit, feel free to email me (sfc AT letsgotech.com) if you have any other questions.
        Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

Comment

Thanks Scott. I appreciate all you do for the fans of Clarkson hockey including this detailed explanation. I am relieved to hear that CU didn't pressure you to do this.
          Let's Go Tech!

Comment

So will you be changing GoldenKnightshockey.com at the top of the page to Letsgotech.com ?

Comment

I'll probably change the logo this weekend, since I really didn't have time on Sunday

Comment

Good move, Scott, & thanks for all your work in keeping the board going over the years.

So, for the time being, even though goldenknightshockey.com has been restored, I've kept the redirects to letsgotech.com in place until I can get a better handle on potential legal and NCAA issues. Should those issues be resolvable to my (and Clarkson's) satisfaction, all I have to do is copy the files back to their original location.

Think the country needs more lawyers???

Comment

Originally posted by scottcomstock View Post
                  The cause of the entire outage, believe it or not, goes back over 8 years.

Back in the spring of 2000, during my senior year, I worked in what was then the University Communications office. As many of you recall, at that time, Clarkson itself hosted the original Roundtable: Rick O'Donnell's version. By that time, as many of you remember, it was not being monitored and had degenerated into a total madhouse that was causing some headaches in the office. It was decided shortly before I graduated to take the Roundtable down and later bring it back basically as it stands today: with real forum software, no anonymous posts allowed, etc.

The legwork for this, including Clarkson's purchase of the goldenknightshockey.com domain name and research into various forum software packages, was done in early 2001. However, before anything further could be done, it was decided that for a variety of reasons (legal and otherwise), Clarkson did not want to give that kind of 'official' support to what was essentially going to be a fan-operated site. By that time, Pete McLean had already reestablished a Roundtable on Yahoo.

Because I didn't like users being forced to give up marketing information to Yahoo, I spoke to both Pete & Clarkson, and offered to host the Roundtable completely on my own, and all I really wanted was use of the domain name: goldenknightshockey.com. Both parties agreed; I bought a copy of Ultraboard (later upgraded to vBulletin), set up the hosting, and that's where the matter has rested for over eight years. Clarkson has not exerted any control, editorial or otherwise, over what's posted here; the Roundtable is basically run as I see fit, and everyone's basically been happy.

The upshot of this, of course, was that I had (and still have) no control over the domain name, goldenknightshockey.com. As the Roundtable moved hosts over the years, I had to have Clarkson modify the domain records to reflect the new hosts. Apparently, they inadvertently made a change a few days ago that completely killed the Roundtable, which was fixed late Sunday.

I was rather nervous when I discovered what had happened, and was very relieved when I discovered it had been an unfortunate mistake. However, I also took the downtime to carefully consider things.

In any serious disputes over content posted on the Internet, one of the first places the lawyers look is who owns the domain. It's usually that person or company that gets the lawyer-type crap: copyright (DMCA) complaints, cease-and-desists, and the like. In the case of goldenknightshockey.com, that would be Clarkson getting the letters, not me. As I said, aside from owning the domain name, Clarkson doesn't exercise any control over the site, editorial or otherwise.

The responsibility for what happens here is ultimately mine, since the site hosting is in my name and I pay for the hosting. Although the Roundtable has never been the subject of a DMCA complaint, cease-and-desist, or anything else of that nature, it is not fair of me to potentially expose Clarkson to that kind of legal b.s. when they have nothing to do with it. Back in 2001, when the arrangement was made, the legal issues were still being shaken out in the courts and I was then not completely cognizant of the potential legal problems.

I don't even want to get into what could possibly happen should someone post something that the NCAA doesn't like. Sure, the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says it isn't associated with the university or the team, but anyone doing a WHOIS on goldenknightshockey.com is going to see that Clarkson owns the domain, and that could be trouble.

I've owned letsgotech.com for quite some time, and have had the domain parked on the same host as the Roundtable, so I was able to quickly get the Roundtable "moved" and back up. It was literally just a matter of copying files from one directory to another.

I want to stress that I undertook this action on my own, without pressure from anyone. I had been intending to contact Clarkson with my concerns shortly before Reunion (so that I could talk to someone up there in person), but the outage sort of moved things up a bit.

As for the move, I just wanted to get the Roundtable back up so that people wouldn't think that I had shut it down. I discovered exactly WHAT had happened early on Sunday, but didn't find out WHY until later that afternoon.

Hopefully this clears the air a bit, feel free to email me (sfc AT letsgotech.com) if you have any other questions.
                  Thanks, Scott, for all that you do. It's because of this website that I initially met The Spaceman and subsequently met countless other SLU & CCT fans, and have become very close friends with several of those fans. This may be a bit dramatic, but the Clarkson RoundTable has helped to significantly and positively impact my life. All the work that you do, and costs that you incur, to maintain this website is greatly appreciated and has/does not go unnoticed.

Was in the NC Friday with my son Chris and friend Warren Greene looking for the very elusive Golden-winged Warbler ("GWW") nest. Found 10 males singing at various locations but no sign of them carrying food or any clue as to where their nests are (translation: females are incubating eggs, we think). Will return Friday or Saturday, weather permitting. I'll probably be dead before I find a GWW nest.

Thanks again, Scott!!!

Comment

Scott, Just as an fyi, it appears the "chat" and the "photo gallery" are still pointing to the old address.
                    Drew

Comment

They shouldn't be, what does the URL bar say?

Comment

http://www.goldenknightshockey.com/gallery/

http://irc.goldenknightshockey.com/

Comment

Where'd you get those URLs from? The bar at the top of the screen uses the correct URLs.

(irc.goldenknightshockey.com? Wow, that's old!)

Comment

Originally posted by scottcomstock View Post
                            Where'd you get those URLs from? The bar at the top of the screen uses the correct URLs.

(irc.goldenknightshockey.com? Wow, that's old!)
                            If we click on the current "chat" or "photo gallery" those are the URL's.

Comment

They should be working correctly now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'll try to put some 'smarter' redirection in after I get home (I'm out of town at the moment). For those of you familiar with the Apache web server, I'm going to try to use mod_rewrite.

Comment

Working...
                              X